Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Victoria river


The third day, the same direction, the same wind. In fact headwind has some advantages: cools you down and keeps the flies away. I stopped at Pine creek for a lunch, then pushed on until sunset when I found a bush camp near a railway line. During the night a car stopped near and two men got off laughing. It seemed they stopped to have a piss and saw my tent in moonlight. They moved on quickly, but I kept awake thinking what I would do if they attacked me. I don't have a proper weapon - even a pedal spanner is cut in half due to weight saving.

Midday next day I was in Katherine enjoying Thai meal and a cold drink. When I turned west into Victoria hwy the wind turned and is now blowing me westward. Sooooo goooood!

Day 3: 160 km, Total 495 km.
Day 2: 142 km, Total 335 km.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Bryce said...

This is an amazing trip. Well done. What did you eat and how did you manage with water? Were you able to frequently locate water along the road? Or did you carry a lot? By the way, the highway is called Victoria Hwy, not Virginia. It's not that important but I was a little puzzled at first by the American name.

January 27, 2019 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger iik said...

Hi Bryce,
It's been a long time since my trip, so I don't remember exact details, but I remember not having much trouble finding water. I carried at most 3 liters. I bought food along tthe way too, I didn't carry much of it (if any at all) - except on Gibb River Road. But I was hungry a few times - see the post Yalgoo.

Igor

January 31, 2019 at 5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home